Wednesday 11 December 2013

Rocky Road

Packaged up, for the delight of others.

Adapted from a Nigella Express recipe.

I never thought that I liked marshmallows. I probably went through 24 years of my life not liking marshmallows. I foolishly thought that I didn’t like the texture. I distinctly remember calling them ‘too floofy’ and for years systematically picked them out of any fifteens that came my way. I wouldn’t have thanked you for a top hat.

Until I covered those suckers in chocolate and added a whole bunch of other tasty ingredients to the mix. They’re easy and delicious and EVERYONE LOVES THEM. Which is why we do this, right? No? Just me?

Ingredients
  • 125 g softened butter
  • 300 g chocolate. I like to use 1/3 milk choc, 2/3 dark
  • 3 tbsp golden syrup
  • 200 g rich tea biscuits
  • 100 g mini marshmallows, or the normal sized ones chopped into 3-4 pieces
  • 75g dried cranberries


Method

Melt the butter, chocolate and syrup in a medium sized heavy based pan. Keep aside about 125ml (half a cup) of this. Set aside.



Evoke childhood memories of making banoffee pie by sticking the biscuits in a sealed freezer bag and setting about it with a rolling pin. The aim is for fine crumbly bits as well as some larger pieces for crunch.

I crumbled them more after this.

Fold the crumbly biscuits into the mixture and then add in the marshmallows and cranberries. The cranberries give it a delicious sour tang to cut through the teeth aching sweetness.



Tip into a tray and flatten out. Pour over the melted chocolate mixture that you set aside earlier and smooth over the top.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.


Cut into appropriately sized pieces, sprinkle over some icing sugar if you’re so inclined. I just wanted to get stuck in.
Chunky little pieces. I could literally eat this right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment