Thursday 27 February 2014

Chicken Fajitas





I’m willing to bet that most people in the UK had their first experience of fajitas via an Ol Del Paso fajita kit, or similar. I know I did. When I was younger, my family would get together, make a big pot of exotically spiced chicken and veg, with tortillas and various sides. It was genuinely my favourite meal as a kid, in no small part because of the family association.

The recipe I do these days is fairly similar to the one from a packet, but I put in separate spices instead of a pre-made spice mix. It’s virtually no more work, tastes delicious and holds a special place in my heart and belly. Normally I would serve with tortilla wraps but we didn't have any, so I improvised with toasted pita breads.

Makes 4 fajitas

Ingredients

  • 2-3 chicken breasts, sliced longways
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • ½ tsp oregano
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced or diced very small
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 pepper, sliced
  • 4 tortillas or pita breads
  • Handful of grated cheese


Method

Slice the chicken and place in a bowl. Stir in the lemon juice, spices and garlic and let marinade for as long as you can, normally about 30 mins should be grand.



Meanwhile, slice the onion and pepper into strips.

Heat the oil and fry the marinaded chicken strips on high for a few minutes until cooked through. 



Turn down the heat a little and stir through the vegetables. 

Colourful!


Let cook for a few minutes longer.



Heat whichever bread you are using, I normally toast the pita (keeping a careful eye!) and heat the tortillas in a pan. Sprinkle the cheese into the bread, and serve either in the pita bread (boyfriend’s fave) or the more traditional tortilla wrap. 


Cheeky little cheese blanket

I normally serve with rice and guacamole.


No comments:

Post a Comment