Saturday 5 April 2014

Sweet Orange Loaf





The boyfriend and I are off on our Easter hols tomorrow! Hopefully I'll still be able to post once or twice, but if the wifi is spotty then this will be the last post for about a week.

And what a post.. I've been saving this humble little cake.

This is one of those little loaf-cakes which looks fairly dull on the plate, but is packed full of flavour and deliciousness. I am compiling a ‘dream afternoon tea’ tray (in my head) and this is on it. I think the reason it is so good is down to the moist texture and sweet, zesty flavour. And it doesn’t hurt that it is pretty simple to whip up!

Again and again I am indebted to Mary Berry for giving me delicious recipes. This is something I never would have thought of making if I didn’t have her book and an orange kicking around to use up, and I am so glad I did. It cuts up into little morsels of happiness!


makes one loaf

Ingredients

  • 1 orange, rind grated
  • 150g butter
  • 150g muscovado sugar
  • 1 large carrot, grated
  • 2 large eggs
  • 200g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp ground mixed spice
  • 1 tbsp milk
  • To finish: 1 tsbp honey



Method
Prep that loaf tin by greasing and lining it and pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.

Grate the orange rind, place in a bowl.



And add in the grated carrot, butter and sugar. 



Cream, then add in the eggs, followed by the flour, mixed spice and baking powder.



Add a tablespoon of milk at the end, if needed, to give a smooth consistency. Pour into the prepared tin.



Bake in the preheated oven for an hour, take out and brush with honey, then place back in the oven for 15 minutes until a knife comes out clean. 



Leave to cool on the tin for a few minutes and then place on a cooling rack.



No comments:

Post a Comment