Friday 30 October 2015

Tandoori Halloumi and Cashew Rice

God, I love spice mixing

This was utterly delicious. I’m really impressed with the flavours of this meal.

So, my favourite restaurant is a little vegetarian restaurant that is near my flat. It serves the most amazing and creative food I have ever eaten, and I am constantly impressed with what their chef cooks up. The menu is also seasonal, so every two months there is a whole new list of yummy food to choose from. This has meant that I have had to go several times in that period to get a good try of all the delicious dishes on offer. NO REGRETS. I never regret food eaten, only food missed out on.



Aaanyway. Since sometimes I like to have a vegetarian dinner, I decided to have a go at home as well. I have a reliance on chicken, and it is refreshing to find simple and delicious alternatives. Enter halloumi. I love halloumi, and I’m not a cheese fan. It is spectacular, meaty and holds its shape perfectly throughout cooking. It isn’t overpowering on its own so it really takes the flavour of the tandoori marinade beautifully.

The rice is my new favourite thing. It is the only way I want to eat rice from now on. I have a love for rice, but being able to bulk it out a big with veggies is always great for reducing the old carbohydrate count.



One last thing, don’t fret about the number of spices in the halloumi mix. If you would prefer, you can buy pre-made pastes or powders with tandoori flavour. I just happen to have a weird predilection for collecting seeds and spices.


serves 2 with leftovers

Ingredients for the halloumi
  • 1 tsp cayenne
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • ½ tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tspturmeric
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp fennel seeds
  • ½ cup yogurt
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • Thumb of ginger, grated
  • 1 tsp vegetable oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • One pack of halloumi


Ingredients for the rice
  • 2 carrots, diced small
  • A few scallions, diced small
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 3 cloves
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 cup rice
  • 500ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
  • 2 handfuls of cashews
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • Pinch chilli powder


Method

Begin with the halloumi. Mix aaaall of your spiced together. Add into a bowl and throw in the yogurt, garlic, ginger, oil and season well. Stir until the colour is gorgeously orange.




Chop up the halloumi into thick slices and put in the bowl, mix around until all the halloumi is coated in the saucey deliciousness. Ideally, allow to marinade for a few hours (note, I rarely do this, I left mine for like 20 minutes while I prepped the rice and it was still lovely).



Okay, now you’re good to go on the rice.

Chop the carrots and scallions, and mince the garlic. Heat the oil and butter in a pan and add the vegetables. Fry gently for a few minutes until softened. Throw in the cloves and ground coriander.

Lovely veggies



Stir through the rice. Pour over the stock, and season. Bring to the boil and then turn down to a low simmer.

Put the lid on, and walk away.  DON’T STIR IT DURING COOKING. I know you want to. But put the lid on and walk away. Let it cook on its own for 15-20 minutes until the rice is cooked through.

This is how it should look when cooked and done


Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200 degrees.

Place the halloumi and any excess marinade onto a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the edges are crisping up and blackening slightly.



When the rice is cooked, take off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes with the lid still on.

Measure out your nuts, seeds and spices.



Gently fork this through the cooked rice.




Plate up the rice, remove the halloumi from the oven and place on top.




Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment