Friday 17 June 2016

My Perfect Granola

Big bowl'a granola


I have to admit, before about 3 weeks ago, I’d never even eaten granola before in my life.

But, a bowl in and I was hooked. I love the nutty, crunchy, slightly sweet, different flavour in every mouthful kinda bowlful that you get.

I started my addiction by stealing my boyfriend’s “tropical” one, with pineapple, banana, coconut etc. 
I decided to branch out and look for my own one. There are SO MANY options. And I’m really picky. None of them had that exact combination of things I was looking for – fruit, nuts, seeds, nothing covered all of them.

So, OF COURSE, I decided it was up to me to make my own. And it’s really easy. And delicious. And there are INFINITE possibilities. I don’t think I’ll ever make 2 identical batches.

I’m a big nut fan, so that’s where I go crazy. Feel free to reduce the quantities or increase as desired. This recipe is more of a general technique and flavour base. Add what you will and enjoy!

There is no more glorious sight!



Makes a big batch of granola.

Ingredients
  • 75ml coconut oil
  • 50ml maple syrup
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • ½ cup desiccated coconut
  • ¼ cup sesame seeds
  • ¼ cup linseeds
  • ½ cup chopped or ground almonds
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • ½ cup pistachios
  • ½ cup hazelnuts
  • ½ cup walnuts
  • ¼ cup dried cranberries
  • ¼ cup dried apricots


Method

Preheat the oven to 150 degrees celsius.

Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan and stir in the maple syrup.



In a large bowl, mix together the oats, coconut, seeds, almonds, salt and cinnamon in a big bowl and mix.



Place the whole nuts in a bag and bash with a rolling pin until in coarse smaller pieces. Alternatively use a food processor (where’s the fun in that?!).




Add the nuts to the oaty mixture, then pour over the coconut oil and maple syrup and stir well.

Spread thinly onto 2-3 baking trays and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and beginning to clump together. If you like your nuts less roasted, add these to the baking trays after 10 minutes of cooking.

Remove from the oven and break up roughly with a fork. Stir through the dried fruit and allow to cool.



Store in an airtight package. Nom down on it whatever way you please. I like some plain yogurt, because I’m a WILDCARD.




No comments:

Post a Comment