Saturday 6 August 2016

Coconut Flour Brownies



The American system has come to my rescue, because my scales have run out of battery! So this recipe is in cups.

Part of this healthy eating kick is exploring a new variety of cooking. I’m not so much a fan of veggies, and I find them kind of boring. So I’m branching out into “raw” and cleaner baked goods. I spotted some coconut flour in Asda on my last shop, and I had to have it! I was a bit worried because the flour packet was teeny and expensive, but upon reading up on it, you need to use a lot less coconut flour than regular flour. That’s because it is very good at soaking up the wet parts of your recipe, so you need about a third of the amount of coconut flour that you’d normally use.



The thing that sold me was the recipe on the back of the box for pancakes! Pancakes are the ultimate breakfast food for me. Recipe coming soon.. I love pancakes so much..

This is my second time ever baking with coconut flour, so I slightly overdid the flour in this recipe because I got nervous to use too little. Therefore, I’ve adapted the final written recipe accordingly so you can get the correct fudgy texture. I went with mint chocolate (my FAVE), but if you don’t want that, just sub in plain chocolate. The coconut flour isn’t overpoweringly coconutty, so the mint doesn’t clash, but this could be awesome with coconut flour and added desiccated coconut.




Ingredients
  • ½ cup cocoa
  • ½ cup coconut oil
  • 75g dark mint chocolate, diced roughly
  • 4 eggs
  • ½ cup maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
  • Pinch salt
  • ½ cup coconut flour


Method

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Grease and line a small brownie pan

Begin like any brownie mix. Melt together the cocoa, coconut oil and 25g of the mint chocolate over a medium-low heat. Stir well and allow to melt nicely.



Whisk the eggs, then pour in the maple, vanilla sugar and salt and whisk again until frothy. Pour in the chocolate mixture, followed by the coconut flour.

Pour into the tin and sprinkle over the rest of the chocolate.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove and let cool partially in the pan before moving to a cooling rack.




Slice and serve!




No comments:

Post a Comment