Wednesday 17 May 2017

Slow Cooker Honey Chilli Chicken


Ooh, this is a good one. I haven't had time to cook much with work and revision, so anything to make the process simpler is a good one for me!

The slow cooker is such a great invention. I use mine at least 2-3 times per month, normally on a weekend. There's nothing better than shoving some food into the slow cooker on a lazy Sunday morning and knowing that dinner is taken care of so that you can focus on the important Sunday activities which include sitting on the sofa and reading the paper.

I don't know about anyone else, but my favourite takeout is Chinese food, and I love a good deep fried honey chilli chicken. I'm always looking for ways to recreate those flavours at home and this one really hits the nail on the head.



This is one of the most simple meals I've made, and the first time I made it, I'll admit, I didn't have high hopes. But the flavours are insane! This is a really delicious dinner, and super simple. Make sure to scoop out some of the sauce because it is really amazing over rice. And apart from all the other things that make this meal amazing, it also is basically made from kitchen staples - I always have these items on hand which means I can have this dinner whenever I want. Which is often, no shame.

Mmm, gotta sop up that sauuce
serves 2 with leftovers

Ingredients
  • 3 medium chicken breasts
  • 1 red onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
  • ½ red chilli, deseeded and chopped small
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • ¼ cup tomato pasatta
  • ¼ cup runny honey
  • ¼ cup soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 2 tsp sesame seeds


Method

Chop the chicken breasts in half and line the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle over the onion, pepper and chilli.



Mix together the garlic, pasatta, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, oregano and paprika until smooth. Pour this over the top.



Cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3-4 hours.




Remove the chicken and veg onto a plate, and pour over the sauce. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds and serve with rice or noodles.


No comments:

Post a Comment