Sunday 6 August 2017

French Toast

Breakfast for KINGS

Would you believe, at the ripe old age of 29, I had never made French toast?

I had some eggs, bread and milk to use up, and I was very hungry one recent Sunday morning, so I decided that my life would be incomplete without some sweet crispy cinammony bread. A very quick google for the general technique later and I was off! Isn’t the internet wonderful? And the great thing about this recipe is that it's basically made up of kitchen staples.



I think one of the highlights of my week is a lovely, lazy, carbohydrate-filled breakfast of a Sunday. And this ticks all the boxes. Starchy and sweet. And if you serve it with bacon (which is fairly mandatory, I’m led to believe) then you get some added savoury saltiness.

But don't limit yourself to this being food you can only it at breakfast. It's an all day food. Ever heard of "breakfast for dinner?" And I leave you with the immortal words of Parks and Rec:




Ingredients
  • 150ml milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla sugar
  • 4 slices of white bread
  • 2 tbsp butter
  •  

Method

In a large bowl, mix together the milk, egg, cinnamon and sugar.



In a large pan, melt 1 tbsp of butter.

When melted, dunk a slice of bread (on both sides) into the eggy mixture until coated.




Immediately place into the hot pan and allow to cook for a few minutes on both sides until cooked and crisping up. The last thing you want is soggy bread!



Crispy but not burned. The sweet spot.

I was able to do two at a time by using my biggest pan.

Continue the dunking and frying process, ensuring there is enough melted butter in the pan for each slice (1/2 tbsp per slice worked for me).


Serve freshly made with a smidge of maple syrup. I also had bacon with mine because that’s the kind of morning I was having.



No comments:

Post a Comment