Wednesday 24 October 2018

Vegan Coconutty Oaty Cookies





I am always up for a baking challenge, and I fancied taking on the challenge of feeding my vegan colleagues at work! I feel bad leaving them out when I bring in my baked goods, so I put my mind to finding some easy vegan recipes. There are a ton of dairy free spreads out there, so that isn’t hard, but eggs are somewhat ubiquitious in baking, and therein lay the difficulty.

Countless google searches and I found an interesting recipe to build on. But I admit, I was sceptical. I didn’t think it was possible to get such chewy and amazingly light cookies without eggs being involved somehow. But these are a damn revelation. Perfect chewiness, easy to make, taste amazing. Win win win.



You know how Phoebe brags that she makes the best oatmeal raisin cookies in the world (but she doesn't make them very often because she doesn't think it's fair to the other cookies!) - well these are those cookies. They look unassuming but they pack a punch!



Makes just over a dozen chunky cookies

Ingredients
  • 144g oats
  • 125g flour
  • 80g dessicated coconut
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
  • 200g brown sugar
  • 112g vegan spread
  • 3 tbsp golden syrup



Method

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees

Add oats, flour, coconut, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and vanilla sugar to a bowl and set aside.



In another bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar, then drizzle in the golden syrup.



Add in all the dry ingredients and mix by hand until you have a strange mixture that is all at once a little sticky and a little crumbly.



Form into balls and place on a baking tray.



Bake for 15 minutes until spread out  slightly and golden brown.



Let cool on a wire rack (although eating them fresh and slightly warm is a delectable treat).

Chow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment