Sunday 4 November 2018

Candied Orange Peel





It’s definitely time for autumnal and Christmas flavours  to start shining through!

I have never made candied peel, so I thought I should give it a whirl, seeing as these citrus-y sweet little nuggets can adorn any festive bake – mince pies, stollen, chocolate marzipan.. And then you’ve got the non-seasonal applications like cannoli.



What’s left of the simple syrup which has been deliciously infused with orange can also be re-used, I am planning to use it to make a deliciously moist orange drizzle cake. Waste not, want not!
Anyway, this is easy and it made my house smell delicious. What more do you want?


Ingredients
  • 2 large oranges
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1.5 cups of caster sugar
  • 4 tbsp granulated vanilla sugar


Method

Begin by preparing the oranges – cut off the top and bottom and divide into 4.



Slice out the pulpy part and trim the remainder of the peel, removing as much of the thick white part as you can (without removing it all) Chop into slim strips. I think some of mine are too wide here, but I made a bunch of different thicknesses to see which ones worked best- experimentation isn't pretty!

Place in a pan of boiling water and let simmer for 15 minutes.



Drain and rinse.



Place the 2 cups of water and 1.5 cups of sugar into a small saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a low boil and add the drained peel.



Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.



Drain again, and toss in the granulated sugar.



Spread evenly out onto a foil lined tray and allow to sit out for 1-2 days to dry. I loosely covered mine in greaseproof paper.



Once dried, use away! I’m going to adorn my homemade cannoli with them!



No comments:

Post a Comment