Tuesday 6 August 2019

White Chocolate Chunk Cookies - New and Improved!




I told you guys I'd give it another bash! Here's a little middle of the week pick me up.



I have modified one of my all time favourite recipes - the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, as it has the perfect texture that I was looking for. I did a little tinkering with the recipe and I think I have struck gold! To me, this is about as close as I'm going to get to the correct flavour and texture. 



The only thing that needs improved is the white chocolate - ideally I'd have something thicker than 2 chocolate buttons but thinner than a chunk from a chocolate bar. I tried a few with 3 chocolate buttons and that is almost perfect! But then you're into a second bag of giant chocolate buttons. 



Experimentation is fun! And delicious.


Makes about 25 cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 and ¼ cup plain flour
  • ½ cup cocoa
  • ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 100g milk chocolate, chopped
  • 140g butter
  • 1 and ½ cup sugar
  • 2 room temperature eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
  • Giant white chocolate buttons - about 50


Method

Mix flour, cocoa, bicarbonate and salt in a bowl, and set aside.



Melt the butter and chocolate together in a small pan. Remove from heat before the chocolate is totally melted and stir to melt fully. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla to the melted chocolate-butter mixture. 



Mix well and then pour into the dry ingredients. The mixture should be soft but not sticky.



Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

When you're ready to cook, preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.

Take a heaped teaspoon worth of dough and roll in your hands to form a ball.

Place on the baking tray. Place 2 buttons into the centre and press down.



Take another small amount of dough, flatten it out and press it over the white chocolate.

Cookies at various stages of being made - on the left you have 2 before the button, then 2 with buttons and covers, then 3 with buttons but before the topping

Bake for 12-15 minutes, until flat and beginning to crack. The tops won’t be quite hard yet but will harden as they cool.



Cool on baking trays for a few minutes then transfer to wire cooling rack. They're kind of amazing warm from the oven because the white chocolate is juuuuust gooey and gorgeous.




No comments:

Post a Comment