Monday 3 August 2020

Chewy Ginger Nuts




I bought a tin of dark treacle ages ago when I had a craving for Jamaican ginger cake and then it just sat sadly at the back of my cupboard, unused.

But then I was spending a Sunday trawling through my recipe books for inspiration and I found a killer recipe for chewy ginger biscuits. I made a few subs to get my treacle in there and they came out PERFECTLY. Really soft but with crisp edges. Sweet but dark. Ridiculously flavourful. Hella delicious.

I love a crackle-top cookie!

Bake and enjoy! They are perfect for a little snack, but I am also picturing a dessert featuring them slightly warmed, with vanilla ice-cream on top and then drizzled with chopped nuts/honey and thinking that would be INCREDIBLE.


makes 14-18 cookies

Ingredients
  • 125g butter
  • 100g dark brown sugar
  • 100g black treacle
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp ground cardamom
  • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
  • ¼ tsp ground coriander
  • Pinch ground cloves
  • Sprinkling of ground black pepper
  • 210g plain flour
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • A few tbsp. caster sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon to finish, mixed


Method

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees.

With a handheld whisk, mix together the butter, brown sugar and treacle until smooth and combined. Add 1.5 tsp boiling water.



Add the spices, flour and bicarb and whisk again.



Scoop up heaped tbsp. of dough and shape into balls. Roll around in the sugar/cinnamon mixture.





Place on a lined baking tray and flatten slightly.



Bake for 13-15 minutes until soft but with cracked tops. Sprinkle a little more sugar on top if you fancy that (I always do).



Allow to cool for about 10 minutes on the tray and then move to a cooling rack to cool and firm.



No comments:

Post a Comment