Thursday 27 March 2014

Falafel





Look, sometimes you just don’t want meat. Sometimes you want a crispy, delicately spiced ball of beans. And that, my friends, is why falafel was invented.

I’m not going to lie, I’ve attempted falafel in the past and it was a NIGHTMARE. Horrible, limp, cloying, un-salted. But then I picked myself up and tried it again. And I’m glad that I did, because these little beauties are a firm favourite.

Serve them whatever way you want, I chose tortilla wraps, spinach and hummus because it just felt right. I also had an avocado to use up so I mixed up the cuisines and threw in some guacamole to the mix. It didn’t go perfectly.. But hell, I liked it. And that’s why I do this.


Adapted from a Jamie Oliver’s 15 minute recipe (spoiler, it took longer)
Makes 8 medium falafels

Ingredients for the falafel

  • 400g tin pinto beans
  • 400g tin chickpeas
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp harissa paste
  • 1 tsp mixed spice
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp plain flour
  • ½ bunch coriander stalks
  • Salt and pepper


To serve:

  • Tortilla wraps
  • Spinach
  • Hummus


Method

Place all of the falafel ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.

Ingredients!

Blended


With clean, wet hands divide into 8 medium-sized falafels, approximately 1.5 cm thick.



Heat 1tbsp of oil and carefully fry the falafel, turning when crisped. It will take approximately 10 minutes, serve when golden and crisp.


Before I covered them in all the toppings I could find.

I went overboard with toppings.. DON'T JUDGE ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment