Tuesday 13 December 2016

Ham and Lentil Slow Cooker Soup




All right, we are doubling DOWN on Christmas cooking now. We're knee deep in the season, people.

For me, Christmas is about eating with family and friends. I have a really awesome family. We meet up all the time when I’m home and have a great time together. They’re also full of good ideas that I can pass off as my own.

This soup is a prime example. My aunt makes the best soup. She is the queen of soup. One day she came to my nanny’s house with her massive 15L soup pot full of lentil soup and put it on the stove. When it was ready to be served, she went into it with a massive fork and pulled out a large joint of ham.

That’s right, she cooked the ham right there in the soup.

Absolute genius.



And I’ve shamelessly stolen the idea and made it into a slow cooker meal, something I can put on in the morning and then all of a sudden at dinner time a wonderful meal appears. I don't add any salt because the stock and gammon are salty enough, but a little bit of pepper works wonders.

Perfect dinner. My boyfriend doesn't think soup is enough of a meal for dinner, so he gets a grilled cheese with his.



Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 1.5L vegetable stock
  • 500ml pork stock
  • 400g gammon joint
  • 5 garlic cloves
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 3 carrots, diced or grated or a mix
  • 2 cups red lentils
  • Bay leaf


Method

Place the stock in the slow cooker and then add the gammon joint.

Add in the veggies and rest of the ingredients, plop the lid on, and turn the slow cooker on to low.



Cook for 8-10 hours on low.



Near the end of cooking time, remove the ham and roughly cube it up. Add half back into the soup mixture and leave the rest for a topping (or you can use it in sandwiches!).



Serve and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment