Friday 30 December 2016

Spiced Bundt Cake (plus Cupcakes!)



My belated Christmas gift to you.. This cake. This is a truly perfect cake. You know gingerbread men? Imagine them soft and moist and in cake form. Doesn’t that sound like something you need to have in your life right now?

I may have mentioned it before, but I love cakes. And I’ve never made a bundt cake before, but my boyfriend managed to find me a few cool tins at the house he grew up in in Sweden, and I was happy to take them!




This cake actually worked surprisingly well, the hardest part of a bundt cake is extricating the delicious (and soft, and fragile) cake from the tin. It took me a few scary moments with a plastic knife to get it out, but a well-greased pan in preparation really does do wonders.



I had intended to make just a cake, but I ended up with a LOT of mixture and a rather small tin, so I got about a dozen cupcakes out of it too. I baked them until golden, which took about 20-25 minutes. And for icing those, I just whipped up a simple buttercream icing, added a load of cinnamon to it, then piped and embellished in a festive theme. YUM.



Ingredients for the Cake
  • 330g plain flour
  • 1 tsp ginger, cinammon, vanilla sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves, allspice
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • pinch salt
  • 220 g butter
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 200g brown sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup greek yogurt
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice


Ingredients for Icing the Cake
  • 200g icing sugar
  • 1 tsp cinammon
  • A few tsp water


Method:

Oven at 175 degrees and grease a bundt tin well.

Beat butter, add sugar. Add eggs one at a time followed by the yogurt and lemon juice.



In a separate bowl, mix together your flour, spices vanilla sugar, leavening agents and salt.



Beat in the flour mixture gradually.



Pour into tin. fill about 2cm from the top, and bake for 50 minutes.

Let cool in tin for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack.



For the icing, mix the icing sugar and cinnamon then add enough water to get a glossy, dripping consistency.


When the cake is fully cooled, pour over the icing. Scatter over any embellishments and eat!



No comments:

Post a Comment