Sunday 13 May 2018

Toscakaka



Or, Swedish Almond Caramel Crunch Delight Cake.

.. I'm still not great at names.

This is one of the nicest and most surprising cakes I've made in a while. I was a little skeptical about adding the topping midway through cooking, but I was so wrong. It was amazing. I'm kind of annoyed at my Swedish boyfriend for keeping the fact that this cake existed from me.



In making this cake I realised I don't have a larger cake tin, so mine is a little taller than traditional. I think it's supposed to be closer to the depth of a tart. I am going to have to hunt for a 9 inch loose bottomed cake tin now, but it was still very delicious.

I made this for my continental table of treats for Eurovision and it was a hit! It's really quite good as it is, but it would be delightful slightly warm with a little vanilla ice cream on the side. Or smothered in custard. Everything is better with custard.







Ingredients for the Cake

  • 100g butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 150g granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla sugar
  • 125g plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 50ml milk


Ingredients for the Topping

  • 100g butter
  • 50g golden caster sugar
  • 40g caster sugar
  • 2 tbsp plain flour
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 1 cup of slivered almonds


Method

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees and grease and line a 9 inch cake tin. Or smaller if that's all you've got.

Melt the butter and set aside.

Beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar for a few minutes,



Add in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon.



Pour in the butter and milk and stir.

Add to the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.



Meanwhile, make the topping by combining all the ingredients in a saucepan.



Cook on a low heat, stirring frequently until golden, bubbling and thickened.



Pull the cake out of the oven briefly after the 25 minutes have elapsed and pour over the topping, trying your best to keep it even.



Bake for a further 15 minutes then remove from the oven.

Run a knife around the edges and loosen the tin from the sides immediately.



Let cool for 15 minutes and then carefully peel the paper off so it doesn't stick.

Let cool to room temp then slice and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment