Monday 8 March 2021

Spicy Bacon Pasta

 


There is nothing better than a bowlful of pasta.

This is my new, absolute favourite pasta dinner. It is quick, tasty and uses a lot of kitchen staples which I always seem to have on hand. It is a perfect mid-week dinner that I probably make once a week. It's a take on amatriciana but it's got so many changes to that classic that I can't call it that in good faith.

The only slightly niche ingredient is nduja which, if you frequent hipster pizza establishments you'll probably have come across before. It's a very spicy Italian pork paste that has basically unlimited uses. It's fabulous mixed into a sauce like this where it confers a warmth. It's AMAZING in a grilled cheese sandwich where the spiciness really comes through. You can also just spread it on a cracker. No rules.



I get mine from the butcher but I have seen it in supermarkets too. Try it. Once I started using it, I couldn't imagine life without it. I basically have to have it in the fridge at all times.


Serves 2 generously, I usually add a little more pasta and make an extra portion for lunch the next day


Ingredients

  • 1 tsp oil
  • 4 rashers of bacon, chopped
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp nduja (optional but do it)
  • 2 tsp pesto (optional but tasty)
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 150ml pasatta
  • 75ml water
  • 50ml milk
  • A good amount of parmesan
  • Pasta for 2-3
  • A little more cheese, to serve (optional but not)

Method

Fry the bacon in a little oil for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and fry, stirring regularly for 8 minutes.

Stir through the nduja and break it up. Add the pesto, paprika and oregano and mix well.

Pour over the pasatta and water and mix to combine. Simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on.

Stick the pasta on to cook.

After the 15 minutes, take the lid off and stir through the milk followed by the parmesan.


Allow to cook for 5 more minutes.



Drain the cooked pasta, and mix it through the sauce. 



Plate up, sprinkle with some cheese (I use mozzarella because I love how it melts) and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment