Saturday 6 March 2021

Za'atar Dinner Rolls


It's a bold statement, but I think my all-time favourite spice mix is Za'atar. I think I've obsessed over this since encountering it for the first time in Beirut last year (oh, travel eating.. how you are missed). It's thyme, it's sesame, it's herby and nutty and a little bit tangy and I found it in Morrison's spice aisle so it isn't unknown to the UK!


I add it to every pizza dough I make, I throw it into any meat I marinade for a shawarma meal, and I haven't made a loaf without it since finding some. In lockdown, this is what I stockpiled. I am obsessed.

When I saw these little za'atar rolls, I pretty much made them for dinner the following day. 



So good. Make them now.


Makes about a dozen small rolls

For the dough:
  • 270g plain flour
  • 10g caster sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 7g (1 sachet) instant yeast
  • 35g butter
  • 125ml milk, warmed
  • 1 egg
 
To fill and finish
  • 50ml olive oil
  • 65g za’atar
  • Scattering of sesame seeds

Method

In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and yeast and make a well in the middle.

Melt the butter, add the milk and mix. Whisk an egg, and add all but 2 tbsp of this to the milk mixture (reserve the rest of the egg for a wash).

Add the butter-milk-egg mixture to the flour and mix well. Kneed for a few minutes by hand until smooth and easy to kneed.




Place in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and allow to rise for 25-35 minutes in a warm spot.



Roll out to a rectangle of about 40 x 20cm.

Mix together the oil and za’atar and spread this over the dough, leaving a 2 cm gap at one long end for the seam.




Roll from the long end and then slice into approx. 2.5 cm thick pieces.




Place in a brownie tin lined with grease proof paper.




Brush with the reserved egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Again let rise for another 15-25 minutes, covered with a clean tea towel.




Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.

Bake for about 20 minutes until risen, puffy, and gorgeously golden.




Serve immediately while hot (but they're good cold too). I did mine with some spiced chicken and salad and a little tahini sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment