Wednesday 8 January 2014

Sweet Potato Fries





First off, let me apologise for the radio silence over the last week. I had an interview yesterday so I have only just looked up from practicing questions while in my head yelling "like me, please!"

It took me so long to get these right. It’s not even an ingredient issue, it’s a technique thing. These will taste great no matter what you throw on them. The trick with these is to slice them fairly thinly and keep them dry. Think of these as awesome versions of frozen potato wedges. Not that much more effort, and so much more tasty. The flavouring can be adjusted too, garlic and rosemary would be great, and plain salt and pepper also works well. 

Due to their versatility, I basically use this as a side for anything. Burgers, fishcakes, fajitas, roast chicken, pie.. I’m Irish and we ALWAYS need a side of potatoes.

Always.

At least one kind.


Ingredients

  • 2 medium or 3 small sweet potatoes
  • 1 tsp oil
  • salt and pepper
  • ½ tsp paprika
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped



Method

Peel the sweet potatoes. 



Don’t wash them, but rub off the pesky little bits of skin sitting on top with a clean bit of kitchen roll.

To begin, I tend to lop off the ends.



Then I cut them in two, and cut lengthways into 4. 



Then I divide each individual segment into 3 or 4. 



Try to keep the sizes and thicknesses similar so that you get even cooking. Too thick and they’ll go mushy, too thin and they’ll crisp up to hell.

Transfer to a bowl and mix in the oil, paprika, salt, pepper and garlic.



Place on a baking sheet and make sure they are spaced out well.

It's not for OCD, it's for even cooking!


Bake in the oven at 210 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, or until crispy on the outside and cooked in the middle. I normally take them out after 15 and flip them around to ensure even cooking.



Serve with anything. Or just munch on them on their own with some mayo or the sauce of your choosing. Anything goes!



2 comments:

  1. It looks like there are fewer fries after baking than before. Do we need to adjust the recipe to account for vanishing fries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only the pretty fries made the photoshoot cut. The rest went in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete