Monday 28 July 2014

Chipotle Chili Chicken Burritos

Chipotle chili on the bottom, fresh jalapeno on the top


Okay, the blog has been leaning a little to the sweet-toothed side this last month, so I think this is the perfect time to post one of my favourite recipes of the last year.

My life has been transformed! And it’s all because of a roasted, dried, smoky chilli. For so long I have seen these in recipes and just subbed in a jalapeno because I didn’t know any better OR where to find the damn things. I was wrong. SO WRONG. I should have made it my life’s mission to find one of these suckers as quickly as my feet would take me.

And where did I come upon these little morsels of spice and flavour?  I picked up my chipotle chilis at my teeny local Tescos! High five for high-street grocery shops. So, there is no excuse.

Burritos are fast becoming my favourite food ever, and I order them whenever possible. Zapatista’s in Newcastle is my kind of fast-food. Forget a burger and ketchup, I want the burrito and guacamole. I thought I should have a go at making my own, and OH HEAVENLY FATHER they came out amazingly.



You need these in your life. You don’t know it yet. But you do.




Ingredients for the chicken:
  • 2-3 chicken breasts, sliced in two
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • Salt and pepper


Ingredients for the sauce
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • 1 red pepper, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • * 1 tsp cayenne powder (UPDATE: made them again, added cayenne, delish)
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 chipotle pepper, chopped
  • 75ml passata
  • 250ml chicken stock


To serve:
  • 4 tortilla wraps
  • Pinto beans/black eyes beans
  • Rice
  • Grated cheese ( I went with Mexicana)
  • Guacamole


Method

Begin by seasoning the chicken with the spices, salt and pepper.



Heat a tsp of oil in a non stick pan and then add in the chicken, frying for a few minutes until browned on all sides. Remove from the pan.



Add a little more oil, then add the diced onion, pepper and garlic. Fry for a few minutes until softened, and then all the paprika, oregano, coriander, chipotle pepper and stir well. 




Then stir through the pasatta, followed by  the chicken stock.




When bubbling, add back in the chicken, cover and let simmer for 25 minutes.



Remove the chicken from the pan and shred. I do this with two forks, on the chopping board from earlier. Place the chicken back in the pan and stir through, the sauce should be nice and thickened at this stage.




To assemble: place some rice in the tortilla, with 2cm clear at either end. Then add the chicken along the same line, followed by beans/guacamole/whatever your preference. 




Grate a little cheese on top, then fold using the same method as the enchilada recipe.





Chow down, Mexican-style.

..with extra guac, as always

No comments:

Post a Comment