Tuesday 3 February 2015

Chicken, Chorizo and Potato Oven Bake



As much as I spend most of my evenings stirring a pan of gently frying onions, garlic and assorted spices, there are sometimes when I just want to put something in the oven and walk away. This, for me, is the perfect work-night meal. Quick and simple, and really can be served with a variety of sides depending on what is in the cupboard.  

I have an exam coming up, and as much as I love to cook on my days off, I love these oven meals that I can forget about for 30 minutes while I keep studying.



While it was cooking my mind skimmed through the options for what to serve it with. Do I make it a decandent Mediterranean feast with hunks of buttered bread, or be good and serve with a nice big salad? Or, go Irish (potato on potato!) with some sweet potato fries. There is enough food here that you don’t really even need a side, but I am a feeder, and that thought is unacceptable to me.



Serves 2 with leftovers
Ingredients

  • 100g chorizo cooking sausage, sliced thickly
  • 400g new potatoes, diced thickly
  • 1 red onion, quartered
  • 4 garlic cloves, peeled but not chopped
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 2 large chicken breasts, halved
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • Zest of ½ an orange


Method

Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.

 Chop the chorizo, potatoes and onion. Peel the garlic and set all aside.



Prepare a large roasting tin, cover with tinfoil and drizzle the oil on top. Place the halved chicken breasts on the roasting tin and roll to coat in the oil.

Throw in the sausage and then scatter over the potatoes, onion and garlic evenly.



Sprinkle over the oregano and orange zest, and season well with salt and pepper.




Place in the oven and roast for 35-40 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked though. Baste once or twice during the cooking process.


Some of the chorizo got a little singed, next time I might add them 10 minutes into the cooking process.
Serve which whichever sides you decided on. I went with a little salad and a little fresh bread,


No comments:

Post a Comment