Saturday 21 February 2015

Coconut Breakfast Porridge

YUM. Accidentally made a two person amount for just me, hence the massive portion pictured!


So, I am trying to be a bit more interesting and varied in my breakfast/lunches- on the weekend, during the week I get out of the house in 10 minutes and inhale a yogurt on the train on my way to work. As much as I love food, I confess that my love of sleep is greater.

Porridge, to me, had always been a bit of punishment food. Despite being warming and filling and good for you. I've always felt it is a food best eaten if you’re dieting, or if there’s nothing else in the house and it’s a blizzard outside, or you lost your sense of smell and taste.

However, I have found a way to make it not only palatable, but even a bit yummy! I have possibly engineered this miracle by shamelessly increasing the calorie content (I don’t understand how you could eat porridge without a bit of sugar sprinkled in), but still. It’s better than eating a donut for breakfast.

And you can take that to the bank!

Adapted from Deliciously Ella, but I added sugar


Serves 2

Ingredients
  • 200ml milk
  • 110g porridge oats
  • 100ml coconut milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla sugar
  • 2 tbsp dessicated coconut
  • Toppings: 1/2 tsp vanilla sugar, 1 tsp dessicated coconut, ½ tsp cinnamon, 2 tbsp milk

Method

Begin by heating the milk in a small saucepan until warmed through and nearly simmering.



Take off the heat, stir in the porridge oats, and leave to sit for 5 minutes with the lid on.




Put back on a low heat, stir through the coconut milk, sugar and desiccated coconut. Allow to heat for 3-4 minutes until all dissolved through.


Cheeky sugar addition



At this point I poured mine into a bowl, stirred through some more milk to adjust the texture to just the way I like it, and topped with a tiny bit more sugar, cinnamon and coconut.




Of course, you could go wild with the flavourings or toppings. You could easily slice a banana on top, or some dried cranberries. Go wild!


No comments:

Post a Comment