Wednesday 25 February 2015

Sweet Potato Brownies



Okay, my love and admiration for the humble sweet potato knows no bounds. We all know this. I would eat it every day if society (and my boyfriend) accepted that. I love the juxtaposition between meat and savoury sauces and the surprise of the silky smooth sweet potato.

But to put it in something exclusively sweet? A brownie, nonetheless! It sounds like it wouldn’t work. I was sceptical right until I put one of these dense, sweet little treats in my mouth. Then I got right on board.



Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but this recipe might just be gluten-free. See, I don’t need flour in *every* recipe! Not that I am opposed to gluten, but I just think that there is nothing bad about making food that lots of people can eat.

Ingredients
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
  • 150g dark choc, broken into small pieces
  • 50g coconut oil (butter works just as well)
  • 100ml maple syrup
  • 2 eggs
  • 100g ground almonds
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp cinnamon

Method

Place the sweet potato in a pot of boiling water and cook for 10 minutes until tender.



Drain well, mash, and set aside to cool.



Preheat the oven to 160 degrees

Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan and stir through the coconut oil and maple syrup.



Pour the chocolate mixture into the pan of mashed sweet potatoes.



Add in the eggs, then fold through the ground nuts, baking powder and cocoa powder. Stir through the salt and cinnamon.




Pour into a lined square brownie pan and bake in the oven for 35 minutes.





Allow to cool in the pan, then cut into squares and tuck in!




Soon after this photo was taken, this half-eaten brownie disappeared. I have no idea where it got to...

2 comments:

  1. Mehdi alerted me to your blogs presence and I like the look of this version of brownie, when I get around to making it he can let you know if we liked it!
    Kate (Mrs Garbash)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you guys like it! It was quite unusual, but definitely tasty.

      Delete