Sunday 28 June 2015

Cocoa-nut Brownies!



Wordplay high-five!

My normal brownie routine is to begin by melting chocolate and butter together, and I decided to change things up a bit. I love the flavour depth and texture that cocoa powder brings to a chocolatey bake, so I decided to give it a go! I found that all cocoa gave the most incredible flavour, but a slightly cake-ier texture than I wanted, so the next time I made them I used 60g cocoa and 60g chocolate.

And combining the cocoa flavour bomb with some unadulterated coconut just felt like a winner to me. And oh wow. It was.



You know bounty bars? You know how happy they make people? Well, here they are in brownie form, SCORE! Completely dense and rich and chocolatey and kind of incredible. I love it when a brownie comes together (in my mouth). I baked mine for 40 minutes and that was PLENTY, so I’d start checking after 30 minutes and taking them out as soon as ready.




Makes 25-30 brownies

Ingredients
  • 125g creamed coconut
  • 125g butter
  • 100g cocoa (or 60g cocoa and 60g chocolate chunks)
  • 250g caster sugar
  • 100g muscovado sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 100g plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 85g desiccated coconut


Method

Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.

Add the creamed coconut, butter, cocoa powder and the sugars to a large saucepan and melt carefully over a medium-low heat, stirring regularly. Or, you could melt in a bowl placed over a saucepan of boiling water.

Melt these bad boyz together



When all melted and combined, take off the heat.

Stir in the eggs one by one.



Stir through the flour, baking powder and salt until all combined.



Finally, stir through the desiccated coconut.



Pour into a prepared baking tin (greased and lined) and place in the oven.



Bake for 40 minutes, checking after 30 minutes and placing some foil on top if it is getting too browned.


Allow to cool in the tin, and then slice into equal, delicious chunks.

All sliced up and ready go go!


No comments:

Post a Comment