Sunday 7 June 2015

Tomato Soup



So, for a brief and annoying time, I was sans camera. Therefore, the next few posts will be illustrated courtesy of my trusty phone. Which isn’t quite as fabulous as my NEW RED DSLR but did the job in the few weeks I had to go without.

Aaaaanyway. I was on my hols recently (when am I not?!) and in one brunch place they kind of just forced tomato soup on us. Now, I’m not a tomato fan normally. I can tolerate them sieved, or on a pizza, but that’s about it. I have some strange and specific food hang ups. You will for instance never see  mushrooms on this blog. I’ve *never* cooked with them, those slimy little gits. Ditto olives. Ditto raisins.

So, it was to my utter shock and bewilderment that this tomato soup which was foisted upon me was tasty.. Nay, delicious!



Of course, I immediately had to try to make my own as soon as I got home. As with most of my experiments, this is a first go. It is pretty damn delicious for a first go, sweet and tart and herby and delicious. Also, it allowed me to exclaim one of my favourite Friends quotes over and over while cooking: "You're burning your tomatoes." "You're one to talk."

I think next time I might play around with ingredients and make it slightly more creamy. But that will be another day! For now, tomato soup, I approve.


serves 4

Ingredients
  • 3 medium carrots
  • 2 medium onions
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
  • 6 medium-sized tomatoes
  • 1 roasted red pepper
  • 2 vegetable stock cubes (and 1l water)
  • Small bunch of basil leaves
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • Sprinkling of parmesan


Method

Chop the vegetables roughly, and dice the garlic.

Heat the oil in a large pan, and add in the onion, carrot and garlic. Sprinkle over the paprika and let cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Pour in the stock and chopped tomatoes, then add the whole tomatoes in, and stir through the roasted red pepper (chop roughly if large).

Place the lid loosely over the pan and allow to simmer gently for 15 minutes.



Remove from the heat, stir through the basil, oregano and parmesan. Season well with salt and pepper.

Blend with a stick-blender until smooth. Taste and season again if needed.


Serve to grateful family/friends. I sprinkled some chilli flakes on mine and had it with a few small 
slices of dark rye bread.


Ba-donka-DUNK


No comments:

Post a Comment