Friday 19 July 2019

White Chocolate Chunk Cookies




So, I have a feeling that this is going to be a bit of an experiment. 

I came upon the idea of these cookies while trying to recreate the famous cookies from Van Stapele Koekmakerij in Amsterdam. These cookies were worth the 20 minutes I queued for them - you can spot the shop a mile off due to the queue. It's set in a tiny little shop on a narrow street and they only serve one thing - fresh, soft, super chocolately cookies. And the unusual thing about them is the huge nugget of white chocolate right there in the middle.



I amended this recipe from some that I saw online, and I love the idea of using a little bit of espresso powder to bring out the chocolate flavour. And, if you like cakey cookies then these are perfect. I prefer mine with a bit more of a squish and I need to find a bigger piece of white chocolate to go in the centre, so I will continue to experiment for *my* perfect version of this cookie but these are a cracking biscuit all on their own.


Makes about 20 cookies

Ingredients
  • 260g plain flour
  • 65g cocoa powder
  • 1.5 tablespoons cornflour
  • ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • ½ tsp instant espresso powder
  • 170g butter
  • 50g granulated sugar
  • 75g golden caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • Large white chocolate buttons (a big bag, enough for 2 per cookie)


Method

Mix together in a bowl the flour, cocoa, cornflour, bicarb, salt and espresso powder and set aside.



In another bowl cream the butter for a few minutes then add in the sugars and beat again until smooth.  Beat in the eggs.



Add the dry ingredients a half at a time, I usually do the first half with the mixer and the second half by hand.



Chill the dough for 2 hours as it’s far too soft to handle at room temp.

When chilled, form the dough into balls (slightly smaller than you would make for a regular cookie) and place on a baking sheet.

Press 2 chocolate buttons into the centre of the cookie which also flattens the cookie out a bit.



Top with a small flat piece of cookie dough and press the edges down.



Refrigerate again for 10 minutes before baking.

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees  C at this stage.

Bake for 8-10 minutes.



Try to enjoy while still warm if you can – it’s worth it for that melting centre!



2 comments:

  1. Droste Pastilles would be about the right size, but they don't make a packet of pure white ones as far as I know. They make a packet of half white/half milk, and another of straciatella. Both of which I may have eaten recently. For science. They also have an embarrassingly small gift pack, which does contain some all white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One blog I read who also tried these mentioned pastilles. I will keep hunting, or just stacking more and more buttons on top. My last batch I managed 3 which was a bit of an improvement.

    If I get a batch of half white half milk I will FOR SURE eat all the milk ones.

    ReplyDelete