Monday 22 July 2019

Za'atar Lamb Meatballs with Spiced Lentils





You can make this in a smaller number of pots and pans than I did, but I’m not sure if my big pot is oven-proof so I transferred it to one of my lovely oven dishes to cook. I was just thinking how I never use my various mismatching Le Creuset stuff so I’m glad I was able to get some use out of them!



One of my favourite flavours that I tried in Lebanon was za’atar – traditionally a mixture of thyme, sesame, and sumac. It is earthy and nutty and sometimes almost tart. And it absolutely sings when spread on fresh hot bread and rolled up into a wrap. My mouth is actually watering thinking of this wrap I had.

And of course it’s cracking with a bit of lamb.

Serves 4, you get 3 meatballs per person

Ingredients
  • 1 and a half red onions
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 2 tbsp groundnut oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 500g minced lamb
  • 2 tbsp za’atar spice
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp ground turmeric
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 litre vegetable stock
  • 300g red lentils


Method

Peel and finely chop the onion, grate the carrot. Heat the oil in a pan, throw in the onions and carrots and cook on a low heat for about 20 minutes, until lovely and softened.

While this is happening make the meatballs – mix the lamb and the za’atar until combined, and form into about 12 meatballs. Place in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.



Throw in the garlic and stir into the onion towards the end of the 20 minutes. Follow this with the ground spices and stir through, allow to cook for about 5 minutes.



Pour over the stock, bring to a boil and pour in the lentils. Turn the heat down and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.



Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.

While the lentils are simmering, fry the meatballs in a little oil in a separate pan, until golden on the outside. You don’t want to cook them through, the oven will finish them off.



Put the lentils in an ovenproof fish and plonk the meatballs on top.



Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.



Serve with a little salad (and I had some cracking sourdough around so I had a hunk of that with it too).



No comments:

Post a Comment